CRAL conducts, encourages and disseminates research with a primary focus on promoting the development of effective language teaching and learning at all levels of education in Armenia and the region.
Specific CRAL goals include:
- conducting research on the teaching of English as a Foreign Language and other languages
- providing opportunities for TEFL students to conduct their research as part of their coursework at AUA
- providing English teaching services to the larger community
- implementing relevant research findings in the Armenian context
- educating and training in-service TEFL professionals for academic and leadership positions
- supporting academic activities for faculty at AUA and elsewhere
- holding public local, regional, and international events on issues related to applied linguistics
Notable CRAL projects include the EEC After school English program for children ages 6-16, Sprout – the AUA Preschool English Program – , and a Certificate Program in Translation (CTRA), which now has become a non-degree program in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.